Radio talk show host provokes backlash after mocking ‘doom goblin’ Greta Thunberg
- Credit: Archant
A radio talk show host has attracted a backlash after he launched a personal attack on 17-year-old climate change activist Greta Thunberg and branded her a 'doom goblin'.
talkRADIO host Kevin O'Sullivan accused the teenager of spreading 'nonsense' after she issued fresh warnings about climate change.
'So Greta today, or yesterday, said we had 'two years to save the planet'. No we haven't,' he said, mocking her accent at the same time.
You may also want to watch:
Co-host Ash Gould and right-wing commentator Emily Carver broke out in the laughter and joined in the ridicule.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 5 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 6 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 7 WILL SELF: Two places where everyone knows your name
- 8 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 9 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 10 How the Daily Star became Boris Johnson's biggest critic
'We should be under water now, that's what I heard,' Carver said while Gould drily quipped: 'They say that every couple of years.'
Carver said environmental issues had made up their way up the political agenda over the past few years which prompted O'Sullivan to call climate change 'nonsense' while labelling Extinction Rebellion a 'death cult' and Thunberg its 'doom goblin'.
'This is the thing about climate change and this goes for Extinction Rebellion and Greta Thunberg, too. It is the epicentre of world hypocrisy,' he said.
O'Sullivan and Gould then began impersonating Thunberg's accent and mocked her for claiming the issue of climate change had 'taken away' her childhood.
'Well, I don't care... Go to school. Be like a normal kid,' O'Sullivan said.
Twitter users slammed the radio presenters' comments.
Charlotte B wrote: 'Funny these fragile impotent little men getting all hot up about a girl. I'd guess it's because she shows them clearly what they are.'
@TheHelpfulTroll wrote: 'She does go to school, @TVKev is just jealous that she's better known than him & can actually listen to people rather than constantly butting in seeking attention.'
They went on to label O'Sullivan as that 'git that constantly talks through a film at the cinema'.
'Kevin sounds like the kind of guy that should call into Kevin's show,' Paul J Wheatley quipped.
@bynoe110 said: 'Wow that was pathetic two grown men slagging off a young girl !!!!'
O'Sullivan replied, telling @bynoe110 to inform Thunberg to 'shut up and stop lecturing us then!'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.