The New European is under new ownership
The New European
The New European is under new ownership.
The newspaper has been bought from Archant by its founder Matt Kelly and a consortium of investors including former New York Times CEO Mark Thompson and former FT editor Lionel Barber.
Former Independent CEO Gavin O'Reilly becomes executive chairman of the new company, with Kelly assuming the role of chief executive officer and editor-in-chief.
Moving with the newspaper are editor Jasper Copping, digital editor Jono Read and digital reporter Adrian Zorzut.
Commenting on the announcement, Kelly said: "I’m very excited to lead this next, new chapter in the remarkable life of The New European, building on its success of the past several years. Since the referendum, The New European has shown that there is a significant market for high-quality, informative, provocative and entertaining journalism written for an audience who care deeply about both Britain and Europe’s future.
"With new investment capital in place and seasoned media investors, we have a very clear vision of how we can better enhance the experience for our readers and employ new innovations and product developments."
O’Reilly added: “Europe is changing and we believe that The New European can continue to play a positive role in constructively debating the continent’s future.
- 1 Poll: Laurence Fox in joint last place with Count Binface in race for London mayor
- 2 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 3 British fisherman expresses regret over Brexit vote on Danish TV
- 4 Why everyone in rents in Germany
- 5 Boris Johnson challenged over 'honesty and integrity' of Jennifer Arcuri claims
- 6 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 7 Johnny Mercer 'sacked' by No 10 after speculation he intended to resign
- 8 Priti Patel plan to deport EU rough sleepers from UK branded ‘inhumane’ by charity
- 9 Boris Johnson vows action over 'absurd' post-Brexit trading arrangements
- 10 PMQs: Boris Johnson makes 'no apology' for texting James Dyson over tax
“The New European is unashamedly Europhile to its core, but it puts the values of strong, independent journalism first; interrogating and questioning the institutions and forces shaping us.”
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.