Anti-Brexit protesters to take to the streets of Bristol
- Credit: Getty Images
A weekend of action is set to take place in Bristol with a 'clean graffiti' art protest providing one of the highlights.
On Friday 10th August shoppers walking through the city centre of Bristol - the hometown of street artist Banksy - will be greeted by an artistic protest inviting local people to stand up against Brexit.
All of the graffiti will be politically inspired in a bid to create a conversation around the anti-Brexit movement.
The project is being coordinated by Our Future, Our Choice (OFOC), the largest youth group campaigning for a People's Vote.
The event will culminate at Corn Street in the city centre at 1.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile on Saturday 11th August the first local People's Vote rally will take place – with many more organised over the coming weeks across the UK.
It follows the march in London which saw hundreds of thousands take to the streets calling for a final say on the Brexit deal.
- 1 A view from inside the Heathrow petri dish
- 2 Liz Truss accused of freeports 'catastrophic blunder' following Brexit deals
- 3 Could Mexican Coke spark a new Coca-Cola cold war?
- 4 The truth about 'buy British'
- 5 Downing Street announces plans to change English voting system following string of Labour victories
- 6 The man the Soviet Union left in space
- 7 Britons living in Spain are being refused Covid jab 'due to Brexit', report claims
- 8 Tories could push for 2023 general election after axing key legislation
- 9 Boris Johnson under investigation over luxurious Caribbean holiday
- 10 Why can't the English see what the Scots and Welsh can?
The event will take place at Colston Hall from 12.30pm with hundreds expected to fill the building to hear more about the campaign.
Speakers from across the political divide will address the crowds, including Lib Dem leader Vince Cable, Tory MP Sarah Wollaston, Labour MP Stephen Doughty and Green MEP Molly Scott Cato.
OFOC co-founder and chief spokesperson Femi Oluwole said: 'Our Future, Our Choice will be offering a focal point for Bristol young people and locals to come together and discuss their concerns about what is becoming an increasingly dangerous Blind Brexit.
'We hope our clean graffiti will prove to the nation that the people of Bristol are not willing to sit back and watch our nation be hijacked.'
Activist Lara Spirit added: 'Bristol's young people are going onto the streets to engage with their community. This is a movement about unifying the nation in the face of great social division, and young people are the instrument of that unification.
'We are here to demonstrate that there is a space for people of all ages to come together and express their desire for a People's Vote in our campaign.'
• Tickets for the South West People's Vote Rally can be reserved on the Eventbrite website.
• Find out more about the anti-Brexit events in your area on The New European website.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.