Letters: It’s the return of the ‘nasty party’
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
With UKIP's voters returning to the Conservative party, Michael Culver argues it's no longer a party for right-thinking people.
I write on behalf of my wife and myself to express our total agreement with the views expressed by Roger Adams in his letter (TNE #90). The Conservative party today is no longer one for any right-thinking person to support and has become an aggressively uncaring and insular party only interested in the interests of the few at the expense of the many.
We are both ashamed to be English.
Michael Culver, Chichester
You may also want to watch:
When France faced a wave of misinformed populist rhetoric against migrants in the early 1980s, Francois Mitterrand responded with a national advertising campaign under the slogan 'Hands off my mate'.
The contrast between this statesmanlike approach and the 'Go Home' vans approved by the current British prime minister could not be more telling.
- 1 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 2 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 3 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 5 Boris Johnson to visit Scotland this week in attempt to shore up the union
- 6 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 7 Brexiteer calls for UK to save Eurostar - by buying it and renaming it 'Britstar'
- 8 Petition launched to cancel 'festival of Brexit' event in 2022
- 9 Brussels to launch campaign teaching younger Britons about the EU
- 10 Piers Morgan defends interview with Thérèse Coffey after accusations of 'bullying'
• Send your letters for publication to firstname.lastname@example.org