Letters: It’s the return of the ‘nasty party’
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
With UKIP's voters returning to the Conservative party, Michael Culver argues it's no longer a party for right-thinking people.
I write on behalf of my wife and myself to express our total agreement with the views expressed by Roger Adams in his letter (TNE #90). The Conservative party today is no longer one for any right-thinking person to support and has become an aggressively uncaring and insular party only interested in the interests of the few at the expense of the many.
We are both ashamed to be English.
Michael Culver, Chichester
You may also want to watch:
When France faced a wave of misinformed populist rhetoric against migrants in the early 1980s, Francois Mitterrand responded with a national advertising campaign under the slogan 'Hands off my mate'.
The contrast between this statesmanlike approach and the 'Go Home' vans approved by the current British prime minister could not be more telling.
- 1 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 2 More approve of EU leadership than Boris Johnson's premiership, poll finds
- 3 Liz Truss to deliver speech rejecting 'Britain First' strategy ahead of US election
- 4 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 5 MANDRAKE: Chilling news for Telegraph bosses
- 6 Minister self-isolates just a day after being spotted flouting mask rules
- 7 Tory MP says policies no longer match 'principles on which millions have backed us'
- 8 Tory minister's claim over free school meals funding gets quickly debunked
- 9 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 10 Questions over Nigel Farage's quarantine status as he appears on stage with Donald Trump at rally
• Send your letters for publication to email@example.com
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.