‘Dreaming about a future where Britain comes home’ - Spanish MEP hits out at “selfish” Brexit
- Credit: Archant
A passionate pro-EU speech from a Spanish MEP condemning Brexit and warning of a 'cold' world outside of the EU has been shared over 21,000 times.
Esteban González Pons told MEPs that Brexit was a 'selfish' decision and said that the EU was less about markets and more about 'the dreams that we share'.
The video was shared by Twitter user Polly Polak, an academic who was looking for a video to explain to students what the EU is and why Brexit was happening. She said that this video summed it up perfectly in two minutes.
You may also want to watch:
In the clip, which has gone viral a year after the speech was delivered, González Pons explains: 'Brexit is the most selfish decision taken in the years since Winston Churchill saved Europe with the blood sweat and tears of the English.
- 1 Boris Johnson proposes saving United Kingdom with 'Project Love' plan
- 2 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 3 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 4 Former Brexit secretary 'privately agreed' with Gina Miller's court action over Article 50
- 5 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 6 PRINCE PHILIP: Why this Danish, Greek, German immigrant epitomised Britain
- 7 Is Volkswagen about to give Tesla a shock?
- 8 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 9 Government loses bid to block financial services bill amendment in House of Lords
- 10 MEPs again refuse to ratify Brexit deal amid concerns No 10 is flouting conditions
'Europe is not a market, it is the desire to live together. To leave Europe isn't leaving a market, it's leaving the dreams that we share.
'We can have a common market, but if we don't have shared dreams we have nothing. Europe is the peace that came after the disaster of the Second World War.'
Listing the EU's achievements he says: 'Europe is the return of freedom to Greece, Spain and Portugal. Europe is the fall of the Berlin wall. Europe is the end of communism, Europe is the welfare state, it's democracy. Europe is fundamental rights. Could we live without these? Could we leave all of these?'
In his closing comments he says that he is hopeful Britain will change its mind.
'I am one of those who, on the day Mrs May announces Brexit is final, will start dreaming about a future in which the Briitsh come home.'
The video has been retweeted over 21,000 times in just three days.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.