The UK won’t be fooled by Farage again
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
So it seems Nigel Farage is about to hit the road to campaign again, in yet another of his 'returns'.
The reason? The 'lies, deceit and treachery' of the political class, he says. A bit rich, coming from a professional politician who himself lied to, deceived and betrayed the British public, and on a grand scale!
How can the man now claim that 'Leave voters knew what they were voting for'? Didn't he make sure they couldn't, by constantly misleading them?
And this time he will find he has miscalculated too: Vote Leave's 'dark ads' on Turkey joining the EU, etc, have recently been exposed. Feeling cheated by both Leave campaign groups, more and more Leave voters are becoming disenchanted with the very notion of Brexit. Farage's own lies and now planned reappearance can only exacerbate their anger and cause a serious backlash against him.
One powerful trait of the English people is their intense dislike of one thing: being swindled. Their natural pride may prevent them at first from admitting that they have been fooled, but when they do, they show no mercy for cheats.
You may also want to watch:
Farage says that 'the time has come to teach the political class a lesson'. My instinct tells me that he will be the prime target of that lesson.
- 1 Liz Truss accused of freeports 'catastrophic blunder' following Brexit deals
- 2 Britons living in Spain refused Covid jab 'due to Brexit', report claims
- 3 The truth about 'buy British'
- 4 Downing Street announces plans to change English voting system following string of Labour victories
- 5 Former Tory speaker admits voting Labour after labeling Boris Johnson a 'liar'
- 6 Tories could push for 2023 general election after axing key legislation
- 7 Could Mexican Coke spark a new Coca-Cola cold war?
- 8 MP insists he will 'earn every penny' after becoming council leader too
- 9 How Brexit dealt a hammer blow to diplomatic relations
- 10 Boris Johnson under investigation over luxurious Caribbean holiday
Nigel Farage's latest 'comeback' suggests only one thing: He knows a People's Vote is inevitable and he is starting his campaign early. Good for him. But we will win.
• This was submitted as a letter to The New European. To have your letter featured in our newspaper email firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.