Letter: There’s nothing patriotic about Brexit
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
It would seem that one of the scapegoats being prepared for when Brexit fails are Remainers who refuse to 'get behind Brexit'.
How one is supposed to support a vacuum is beyond me. Brexit is by definition a negative, dismantling process; there is nothing there of substance to support, even if one wanted to.
It's akin to being asked to admire the open wasteland of a former much loved building shortly after the wrecking ball has done its job, or to stand on the pavement waving a sandcastle paper Union Jack as the bare flatbed Brexit lorry trundles past. 'A lack of patriotism' on the part of Remainers is a consequent accusation that rankles.
We are not in essence being asked to support our country and its best interests, but rather to show antipathy towards our EU neighbours and soon-to-be former colleagues and partners. The Leave lobby measures patriotism by the volume of abuse and invective hurled at fellow Europeans and friends; and I for one will not succumb to this denigrating behaviour. As Voltaire said: 'It is lamentable, that in order to be a good patriot one must become an enemy of the rest of mankind'.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 2 MEPs again refuse to ratify Brexit deal amid concerns No 10 is flouting conditions
- 3 PMQs: Commons speaker reprimands Boris Johnson over Greensill response
- 4 Boris Johnson proposes saving United Kingdom with 'Project Love' plan
- 5 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 6 Former Brexit secretary 'privately agreed' with Gina Miller's court action over Article 50
- 7 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 8 Tory anger as Labour to hold vote on establishing committee to investigate cronyism
- 9 David Cameron 'only sorry he got caught', MPs told
- 10 Tory candidate under fire after describing Brexit chaos as a 'hiccup'
• This letter was originally submitted to The New European in January 2018.
• What do you think? Send your views for publication in The New European to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.