More than 215,000 people sign petition demanding final say on Brexit deal
- Credit: Archant
A petition demanding a public vote on the final Brexit deal between the UK and the European Union surpassed 215,000 signatures following a spate of cabinet resignations.
The campaigners are calling on the government to give the public a final say on Brexit, an issue they argue is 'too big to be ignored by the people'.
The organisers of the People's Vote campaign will deliver the petition to Downing Street this autumn - a week before Parliament votes on the final Brexit deal.
You may also want to watch:
Last month more than 100,000 people marched for a People's Vote in central London and supporters are out on the streets across the UK each week with copies of the petition to raise awareness of the cause.
- 1 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 2 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 3 Rabbits defeat French army
- 4 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 5 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 6 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 7 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 8 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 9 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 10 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
Leading People's Vote campaigner and Labour MP Chuka Umunna said that the Chequers 'car crash' will boost support for a fresh referendum.
He explained: 'Brexit is turning into an unholy and undeliverable mess.
'The Chequers car crash crosses Theresa May's own red lines, it certainly fails Labour's six tests and it is a million miles away from the kind of Brexit people thought they were getting – whether they voted Leave or Remain in 2016.
He added: 'Brexit's contradictions can't be resolved by a Cabinet riven with splits or Parliament with parties divided on this issue.'
A spokesperson for the People's Vote campaign said: 'Even if the EU agrees to it, it is a worst-of-all-worlds deal, which will leave Britain half-in, half-out of Europe, with no say on the rules we will still have to follow while paying through the nose for the privilege.
'That's why we think it's now time for the public to take back control of this botched Brexit. A People's Vote on the final Brexit deal is our chance to tell the politicians just what they think of the deal they have negotiated.'
On Monday former government minister Justine Greening signalled support for giving the people a final say.
'The only solution is to take the final Brexit decision out of the hands of deadlocked politicians, away from the backroom deals, and give it back to the people'.
She told Radio 4 Today's programme that a number of senior Tories backed a fresh referendum.
• To sign the petition visit the People's Vote website where there is further information about the next People's Vote march taking place in October.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.