‘Stop dancing around the truth on Brexit’ - Twitter reacts to May’s speech
- Credit: PA
Twitter has reacted to Theresa May's speech with humour and scepticism.
Her entrance to 'Dancing Queen' was compared to the embarrassing work of David Brent, the entrance of wrestlers and football managers, and even a GIF from The Simpsons.
The Twitterati were particularly cynical about the prime minister's words about immigrants and abuse of politicians.
As prime minister her party instigated attacks on Diane Abbott during the last general election, and as home secretary approved the 'go home vans'.
Meanwhile, devoid of any real policy announcements, Theresa May was attacked for criticising a People's Vote and 'dancing around the truth' on Brexit.
You may also want to watch:
• Hear more reaction to Theresa May's speech and Conservative party conference on this week's podcast from The New European - out Friday.
- 1 Could Mexican Coke spark a new Coca-Cola cold war?
- 2 A view from inside the Heathrow petri dish
- 3 The reverse Midas touch of Michael Gove
- 4 First black female mayor elected in Liverpool as Labour holds on to role
- 5 Dominic Raab 'chickened out' of a no-deal Brexit, Michel Barnier says
- 6 Nicola Sturgeon concedes Holyrood majority for SNP is a ‘very long shot’
- 7 Keir Starmer faces a ‘mountain to climb’ after Hartlepool defeat
- 8 Labour claims ‘extraordinary results’ in Welsh Parliament election
- 9 Welsh Labour 'exceeding expectations' as party confident of winning Leanne Wood's seat
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.