‘Stop dancing around the truth on Brexit’ - Twitter reacts to May’s speech
- Credit: PA
Twitter has reacted to Theresa May's speech with humour and scepticism.
Her entrance to 'Dancing Queen' was compared to the embarrassing work of David Brent, the entrance of wrestlers and football managers, and even a GIF from The Simpsons.
The Twitterati were particularly cynical about the prime minister's words about immigrants and abuse of politicians.
As prime minister her party instigated attacks on Diane Abbott during the last general election, and as home secretary approved the 'go home vans'.
Meanwhile, devoid of any real policy announcements, Theresa May was attacked for criticising a People's Vote and 'dancing around the truth' on Brexit.
You may also want to watch:
• Hear more reaction to Theresa May's speech and Conservative party conference on this week's podcast from The New European - out Friday.
- 1 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 2 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 3 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 4 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 5 Brexit changes lead to exodus of Brits from Spain, UK nationals claim
- 6 James O'Brien schools Brexiteer who refuses to accept new EU-UK trade rules
- 7 Brexiteer rebuked after backing Nigel Farage's 'East Germany' claims
- 8 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 9 Tory candidate suspended by party over comments about ‘fat’ food bank user
- 10 No 10 defends Stanley Johnson receiving two coronavirus vaccines while others don't
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.