‘We don’t want you!’ - Theresa May heckled by former Tory councillor
- Credit: PA
Theresa May was heckled by a member of her own party in her public visit since the local elections.
'Why don't you resign?' a man shouted at the prime minister as she began a speech at the Welsh Conservative conference in Llangollen .
He continued: 'The National Convention don't want you, we don't want you!'
Fellow Conservatives rallied behind Theresa May calling for him to be kicked out of the conference.
The prime minister said that despite this it was 'great to back in North Wales again', before adding 'I have to say my experience of North Wales is that everybody I meet here is friendly.'
You may also want to watch:
She continued: 'Results are still coming in, but the picture is clear.
'Councillors who've given years of hard work in their local communities have lost through no fault of their own.'
- 1 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 2 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 3 This chumocracy is costing our country
- 4 Tory MP complains 'less scrutiny of trade deals' than when UK was in EU
- 5 Piers Morgan tells Gavin Williamson to resign for being a 'catastrophe'
- 6 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 7 No 10 says Biden removing Churchill bust ‘up to president’ despite Obama attack
- 8 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 9 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 10 Priti Patel 'may have broken ministerial code' over border comments, suggests Keir Starmer
May added: 'This is a difficult time for our party and these election results are a symptom of that.
'We have the privilege of governing our country at a momentous time and we have a responsibility of delivering something truly historic.
'What is momentous and historic is seldom simple and straightforward.
'But I think there was a simple message from yesterday's elections to both us and the Labour Party - just get on and deliver Brexit.'
Speaking after he was escorted out of the venue, Tory party member and former county councillor Stuart Davies said he had heckled May and called for her to resign because of her handling of Brexit.
The 71-year-old, from Llangollen, said: 'I am furious at what she has done to our party. To put it bluntly she is telling lies: 'we will be out by March the 29th'.
'If she's given a choice she always picks the wrong choice and that's what she's done all the way through.
'She doesn't listen to people. I knew this was my opportunity to get my views across and I think I share the views of a lot of people who are party members. I did what I did because I know it was the right thing to do.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.