May claims People’s Vote would ‘destroy trust in politicians’ and everyone reacted the same way
- Credit: PA
Theresa May has claimed a fresh referendum on the UK leaving the European Union would 'destroy trust in politicians' - and everybody hit back with the same observation.
May was speaking to the Express when she claimed that a People's Vote would undo the 'biggest exercise in democracy in our country's history.'
She said: 'When the referendum took place, we gave people the opportunity to make a choice. They made that choice. If we as politicians want people to trust us, then we have to deliver for them on that.'
'This was probably the biggest exercise in democracy in our country's history. If we were to go back on that vote, it would destroy trust in politicians.'
As expected, social media users all reacted in the same way.
You may also want to watch:
Nino Williams tweeted: 'Theresa May says a second referendum would 'destroy trust in politicians'. Is that the ones who lied about giving £350m a week to the NHS, staying in the single market, and promised 'Brexit will be easy & have no downsides'?'
Another wrote: 'We are a long long long way past the point where that ship has sailed.'
- 1 This chumocracy is costing our country
- 2 Fifteen ways to fix Britain
- 3 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 4 Michel Barnier tells UK to be 'very careful' in Brexit diplomatic status row
- 5 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 6 Independent SAGE adviser gives scathing assessment of Priti Patel's £800 Covid fines
- 7 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 8 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 9 George Osborne hopes for Brexit dividend
- 10 Piers Morgan tells Gavin Williamson to resign for being a 'catastrophe'
Nicholas Shakespeare asked: 'What strange planet is Theresa May on, to say that a second referendum would destroy trust in politicians? What trust? Our politicians have rarely been held in such base esteem.'
Will Black said: 'Bless, you think we trust you now? Giving us the choice to decide on out future is the only sane way forward.'
Others were quick to point out that a People's Vote might be the only thing to restore trust in politics.
Gaby Franklin tweeted: 'Theresa May says #Peoplesvote would 'destroy trust in politicians'. It might be the only thing that would make it possible to have any trust in politicians after Brexit lies!'
Her comments came after a Treasury minister suggested there is a possibility of a second EU referendum if Theresa May's Chequers proposals are rejected by the House of Commons.