Theresa May’s team IS considering a People’s Vote
- Credit: Getty Images
With the prospect of Theresa May's Brexit deal getting defeated in the Commons the prime minister's team have discussed a People's Vote.
According to BuzzFeed, Downing Street advisers have urged Theresa May to consider a second referendum or a softer Brexit as options, as her team work out the best response to her deal being rejected.
While Downing Street have claimed that there is no Plan B, conversations appear to be taking place to look at possible options to win a Brexit vote in Parliament.
Allies of the prime minister have looked at the potential for a People's Vote which would be between remaining in the EU or her deal, which they believe could be won if there is a uarantee to end freedom of movement.
The news website, however, reports that Theresa May does not want to allow for any options which could risk Brexit being stopped.
You may also want to watch:
The second option on the table would be a softer Brexit option to win over some Labour MPs and Tory Remainers. This would be a Norway-style option with the UK remaining in the single market. However this would cross a red line for May as it would continue freedom of the movement.
Downing Street declined to comment on the speculation.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 3 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 4 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 5 Theresa May brands Michael Gove's no-deal Brexit statement 'utter rubbish'
- 6 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 7 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 8 Remainers blamed for Boris Johnson's inability to secure Brexit deal
- 9 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 10 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.