EU scheme providing £1.3bn worth of PPE was described as ‘inadequate’ by government
- Credit: PA
The UK government has described the EU's bulk-buying scheme for personal protective equipment (PPE) as 'inadequate', despite it delivering £1.3 billion of equipment to 25 EU countries.
Work and pensions secretary Thérèse Coffey told LBC's Nick Ferrari that the country was in a 'better state now' in regard to PPE than had it joined the programme.
The minster confirmed the government could have joined the EU's bulk-buy personal protective equipment scheme on three separate occasions but chose not to.
When asked to explain the government's logic for attending a meeting with its EU counterparts on March 19 concerning the procurement of PPE, despite dismissing the scheme andrefusing to join a gathering two weeks earlier, Coffey said: 'The government had assessed that it would not have made any difference joining those schemes.
'We weren't part of the first meeting. We were part of the second meeting. That does not change the basis for our assessment. It would not have made any difference to our procurement of PPE.'
You may also want to watch:
This comes as the medical body, Doctors Association UK, claimed that only 52% of clinicians carrying out high risk procedures had the right full sleeve gowns. The Royal College of Nursing has now urged nurses to refuse treating patients with the virus if they do not have the correct protective equipment.
Meanwhile, doctors and nurses in 25 EU countries will receive €1.5bn (£1.3bn) worth of PPE within the next two weeks.
- 1 Michael Gove asked FIVE TIMES to explain what a 'substantial meal' is
- 2 BBC presenter attracts complaints after calling Brexiteers 'headbangers, zealots and quislings'
- 3 Michael Gove accused of going 'full Trump' after attacking Good Morning Britain's ratings
- 4 British expats seethe at post-Brexit travel restrictions
- 5 Keir Starmer mocks Tory heckler who said he was speaking in 'hindsight' with prediction
- 6 Brexiteer claims it will be '25 years' before UK gets sovereignty back
- 7 Netherlands causes hilarity with use of Brexit 'monster' to issue warning to citizens
- 8 Brexiteer mocked after dreaming up term to describe Britain's Covid vaccination programme
- 9 Scotland should 'aim to rejoin EU in full' after Brexit, SNP told
- 10 Michael Gove tells Piers Morgan boycotting GMB had been 'good advice'
Coffey said the government did not have a procurement issue, stressing the country had more than 700 million pieces of PPE ready to go. She also confirmed that the armed forces were now being called in to delivery the essential kit to hospitals and care homes across the UK.
The EU began its procurement process on 28 February when it established the Joint Procurement Agreement steering committee. It was not until 15 March that the Johnson administration realised it had not been invited to partake in a single meeting. It was later discovered that invitations were being sent to a defunct email address, The Guardian reports.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.