FA says its logo was ‘misused’ after fringe rightwing party puts three lions on election leaflet
- Credit: Archant
The Football Association has said that a political party has 'misused' its logo after the English Democrats plastered England's three lions device on a campaign leaflet.
The logo appears on millions of A4 leaflets delivered in Yorkshire and the Humber and the East of England as part of the English Democrats' campaigning in the European elections.
"We do not support or endorse any political party", said an FA spokesperson. "We are aware that our logo has been misused on some political leafleting and we are looking into the matter."
The FA's version of the 'three lions' logo, which adds the wording 'TEAM ENGLAND' above it, is trademarked at the Intellectual Property office.
The English Democrats say the image is a traditional heraldic device and that anyone can use it, adding that they made their own version rather than ripping off the FA's.
You may also want to watch:
"This is the traditional symbol of England, it's not a traditional symbol of English football," party chair Robin Tilbrook told The New European. "[The FA] have no monopoly on it."
Some Twitter users were nonetheless upset.
- 1 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 2 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 3 Television drama to focus on Boris Johnson's first year in Downing Street
- 4 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 5 Boris Johnson claims Labour supporters using Universal Credit vote to incite hatred
- 6 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 7 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 8 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
- 9 Michael Gove among 14 Tory MPs revealed to have joined banned Parler app
- 10 Dominic Raab 'not convinced' collapse of fishing businesses would be result of Brexit deal
"Hi FA people?" tweeted @huntyhunt. "Are you happy with the English Democrats using your Three Lions logo on their Brexit leaflets? It's horrible to see the England team's brand tarnished by association."
The logo, which has appeared on England players' shirts since 1872, was further embedded in footballing fans' minds with the number one 1996 song 'Three Lions (Football's Coming Home)'.
The English Democrats is a nationalist party whose central campaign issue is English independence from the United Kingdom.
The party welcomed numerous former British National Party members into its ranks after the BNP imploded.
The party uses the slogans "English jobs for English workers", and currently is leading a legal challenge that claims the UK already left the EU on March 29.