Brexiteer claims a fresh referendum would be too ‘humiliating’ for the UK
- Credit: Archant
Brexiteer Tim Montgomerie has claimed that giving the country a People's Vote would be an act of 'national humiliation'.
The prominent Conservative campaigner and former speechwriter for failed leaders William Hague and Iain Duncan Smith was writing for the Mail on Sunday when he said that 'the world will have watched Britain's politicians and government fail to grasp the chance to return to what other nations across the globe already are: self-governing.'
He said that 'a reversal would amount to a national humiliation'.
He added: 'The country that once ran the world's largest empire would have decided it couldn't even manage itself. And while Britain would be a shrunken shadow of its former self, you can imagine what Brussels would think of itself.'
Many were quick to point out that Brexit itself was an act of humiliation for the country, while others pointed out that those across the globe were far from supportive about our exit from the European Union.
For instance, former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who said that he 'thought it was the single stupidest thing any country has ever done', and the Australian poll which found just 19% believed the country should leave the EU.
You may also want to watch:
On Twitter thousands responded to Montgomerie's claims.
LBC presenter James O'Brien tweeted: 'Translation: Turns out we spent our entire careers talking undiluted bollocks about pretty much everything, especially Brexit. But we can't back out now because then we'd have to admit it.'
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 6 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 7 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 8 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 9 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 10 Ex-civil service chief takes swipe at Dominic Cummings while criticising government's Covid-19 response
Comedian Dara O'Briain said: 'Congratulations! The stupidest argument yet against a 2nd referendum, 'it would be embarrassing'.'
Television presenter Richard Bacon replied: 'And you can't see any inherent (and completely mad) contradiction in saying how important 'self governing' is in the sentence next to boasting that we 'ran' the world's largest empire?'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.