Poll finds revoking Article 50 and remaining in the EU is public’s preferred option
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
In a warning to Tory party leadership candidates, a new poll from the Times has revealed that more people want to revoke Article 50 and remain in the European Union than any other option for Brexit.
The poll, conducted by YouGov, found that just 28% want to leave without a deal compared to 43% who now want to remain in the European Union.
Theresa May's now dead deal is the preferred choice for just 13% of people with 16% preferring a softer Brexit which involves staying in a customs union.
The choice of remaining in the European Union was also the preferred choice with 64% of voters of Labour in the 2017 general election and 70% of voters for the Lib Dems.
According to the polling more people also believe the warnings about the economic impact of a no-deal Brexit are "realistic" with 40% agreeing compared to 36% disagreeing.
You may also want to watch:
Layla Moran, the Liberal Democrat MP and a Best for Britain supporter said that the polling shows the next prime minister will once again become "stuck" on Brexit.
"Unfortunately, I don't trust either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt to put the country above party. That's just not how they work.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 5 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 6 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 8 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
"This poll shows clear as day why the people need a final say. It's their democratic right."
Best for Britain boss Naomi Smith said: "This poll shows the option most Brits favour is stopping Brexit.
"The only fair thing for the new PM to do is give the people the final say on Brexit. The 2016 mandate to leave the EU is more than three years old.
"Now we have seen what a mess and distraction Brexit is, the country has moved on. Crashing out in October may be do or die in the eyes of the tiny Tory membership, who make up just 0.25% of the population, but a PM's duty is to the whole country."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.