Tommy Robinson arrested on suspicion of assault
- Credit: PA
Former English Defence League leader Tommy Robinson has been arrested on suspicion of assault.
Robinson was detained after police received a report of an assault on a man at Hollywood Retail Park in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, shortly after 8.30pm on Thursday.
He is also being questioned in custody on suspicion of a public order offence, along with a 43-year-old man from the West Midlands area, a 47-year-old man from the North Wales area and a 28-year-old man from the Bedfordshire area.
Footage shared on social media shows Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, filming himself and then police officers who arrive at an address in the town.
Robinson explains to an officer that he 'acted in self defence' after he says that someone spat in his face.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement issued on Friday, Cumbria Police said: 'Four men from outside the county were arrested last night following a report of an assault.
'Cumbria Police received a call reporting an assault on a man at Hollywood Retail Park, shortly after 8.30pm.
- 1 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 2 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 3 Minister terminates interview after suggesting public's age and weight to blame for UK's high death toll
- 4 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 5 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 6 Boris Johnson to visit Scotland this week in attempt to shore up the union
- 7 Brexiteer calls for UK to save Eurostar - by buying it and renaming it 'Britstar'
- 8 Petition launched to cancel 'festival of Brexit' event in 2022
- 9 Brussels to launch campaign teaching younger Britons about the EU
- 10 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
'Officers responded and arrested four men shortly afterwards in the Douglas Street area of Barrow.
'A 37-year-old man from the Bedfordshire area was arrested on suspicion of assault and a public order offence.
'All remain in police custody this morning.
'There were a number of people in the area at the time and officers are keen to hear from anyone who witnessed what happened or the moments immediately before or after.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.