Tommy Robinson arrested on suspicion of assault
- Credit: PA
Former English Defence League leader Tommy Robinson has been arrested on suspicion of assault.
Robinson was detained after police received a report of an assault on a man at Hollywood Retail Park in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, shortly after 8.30pm on Thursday.
He is also being questioned in custody on suspicion of a public order offence, along with a 43-year-old man from the West Midlands area, a 47-year-old man from the North Wales area and a 28-year-old man from the Bedfordshire area.
Footage shared on social media shows Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, filming himself and then police officers who arrive at an address in the town.
Robinson explains to an officer that he 'acted in self defence' after he says that someone spat in his face.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement issued on Friday, Cumbria Police said: 'Four men from outside the county were arrested last night following a report of an assault.
'Cumbria Police received a call reporting an assault on a man at Hollywood Retail Park, shortly after 8.30pm.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 5 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 6 Tory MP who voted against her own party to support free school meals motion quits government in protest
- 7 'Shameful' Tory minister defends government memo attacking Marcus Rashford's free school meals call
- 8 The deep roots of Dominic Cummings' personal antipathy to the BBC
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 Political commentator delivers blistering response to Tory backbenchers offended by Angela Rayner's slur
'Officers responded and arrested four men shortly afterwards in the Douglas Street area of Barrow.
'A 37-year-old man from the Bedfordshire area was arrested on suspicion of assault and a public order offence.
'All remain in police custody this morning.
'There were a number of people in the area at the time and officers are keen to hear from anyone who witnessed what happened or the moments immediately before or after.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.