Boris Johnson urged to reject general election endorsement from Tommy Robinson
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Boris Johnson has been called on to rebuff a general election endorsement from far-right activist Tommy Robinson.
The former English Defence League (EDL) leader said "go Boris!" in an endorsement made outside the High Court, where he is being sued for libel.
Robinson said: "Everyone should vote for Boris Johnson. And I'm so happy with what Nigel Farage has done. Nigel Farage should attack the Labour heartlands. If we want Brexit ... If we believe in democracy, we have to have Brexit. So yeah. Go Boris!"
Robinson is being sued for libel over comments he made about a Syrian refugee teen who was filmed being attacked in a school playground. Prior to heading into court, Robinson stopped to talk to cameras and expressed his support for Johnson.
Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson has written to the prime minister urging him to publicly reject the endorsement.
You may also want to watch:
She wrote: "I know you have gladly accepted the endorsements of individuals such as Nigel Farage and Arron Banks but I would urge you to put dog-whistle politics and ambitions aside and recognise that this is far beyond the pale."
In a public statement, she said this news "tells you everything you need to know about today's Conservative party".
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 3 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 4 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 5 Remainers blamed for Boris Johnson's inability to secure Brexit deal
- 6 Theresa May brands Michael Gove's no-deal Brexit statement 'utter rubbish'
- 7 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 8 Boris Johnson told to apologise for incompetence in delivering his 'oven-ready' Brexit deal
- 9 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 10 Leaked government dossier warns of army street patrols if second Covid-19 wave and no-deal Brexit hit UK at same time
She also said: "Tommy Robinson spreads hate and division, poisoning our communities by setting people against each other."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.