Boris Johnson urged to reject general election endorsement from Tommy Robinson
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Boris Johnson has been called on to rebuff a general election endorsement from far-right activist Tommy Robinson.
The former English Defence League (EDL) leader said "go Boris!" in an endorsement made outside the High Court, where he is being sued for libel.
Robinson said: "Everyone should vote for Boris Johnson. And I'm so happy with what Nigel Farage has done. Nigel Farage should attack the Labour heartlands. If we want Brexit ... If we believe in democracy, we have to have Brexit. So yeah. Go Boris!"
Robinson is being sued for libel over comments he made about a Syrian refugee teen who was filmed being attacked in a school playground. Prior to heading into court, Robinson stopped to talk to cameras and expressed his support for Johnson.
Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson has written to the prime minister urging him to publicly reject the endorsement.
You may also want to watch:
She wrote: "I know you have gladly accepted the endorsements of individuals such as Nigel Farage and Arron Banks but I would urge you to put dog-whistle politics and ambitions aside and recognise that this is far beyond the pale."
In a public statement, she said this news "tells you everything you need to know about today's Conservative party".
- 1 The biggest scandal may be that no rules were broken
- 2 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 3 A chapter is over for Britain, for good or ill
- 4 BBC journalist admits being 'haunted' by fear broadcaster 'built up' Nigel Farage and UKIP
- 5 Alan Duncan should have spoken out sooner about Boris Johnson
- 6 Welsh government takes Westminster to court over post-Brexit bill
- 7 Ulster Unionism's crisis of faith
- 8 EU president faces fresh calls to resign over 'disastrous' Covid vaccine programme
- 9 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 10 Prosecution threat for Tories' co-chairman
She also said: "Tommy Robinson spreads hate and division, poisoning our communities by setting people against each other."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.