Tommy Robinson told he is ‘exploiting’ grooming victims by pledging to offer MEP salary to charities
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Tommy Robinson's pledge to offer his European Parliament salary to grooming victims if he is elected has been rejected and branded a 'profound insult' by the charities he was offering to support.
More than 40 women and charities have signed a letter saying they would not accept money from the English Defence League founder, who is campaigning to be an independent MEP.
Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, has told voters in the North West where he is running that he would donate "100%" of any EU salary to "child victims of sexual grooming".
The letter signed by charities including the End Violence Against Women and Girls Coalition criticised Robinson for frequently singling out Muslims as being behind grooming gangs.
"We, as organisations and individuals fighting tirelessly against the abuse of women and girls, as survivors of abuse and their families, and as people who care about our communities, do not want your money, Tommy," it reads.
You may also want to watch:
"Those who have suffered sexual and physical abuse were failed by those who should have protected them. But Tommy Robinson is no ally for the children he claims to stand up for.
"Tommy doesn't care about the rights of women and girls - he is exploiting the pain of survivors and their families to fuel racist hate for his own gain.
- 1 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 2 Michel Barnier tells UK to be 'very careful' in Brexit diplomatic status row
- 3 Fifteen ways to fix Britain
- 4 This chumocracy is costing our country
- 5 Holyrood in talks with EU to extend Erasmus scheme to Scottish students
- 6 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 7 Independent SAGE adviser gives scathing assessment of Priti Patel's £800 Covid fines
- 8 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 9 An actor whose politics were a touchy subject
- 10 Brexiteer says he'd never have voted for Brexit 'if we knew we'd lose our jobs'
"Tommy Robinson's factually incorrect messages about grooming, and his attempt to portray himself as a champion of the cause, are an insult to survivors of abuse.
"It is also a profound insult to the women who have spent their whole lives building support services for survivors and working to ensure some cases finally got to court."
Other charity signatories include author and Women for Refugee Women founder Natasha Walter, Rape Crisis Surrey and Sussex, Rape Crisis South London, the Women's Centre Cornwall and Gurpreet Virdee, a director at the Women and Girls Network.
Robinson made the pledge in a YouTube campaign video, while it has also been shared on his Telegram channel, a main point of mass communication since his bans from Twitter and Facebook.
MEPs get a monthly salary of roughly £7,500 before tax.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.