Tommy Robinson praises Dominic Cummings as he claims to have joined the Tories
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Far-right activist Stephen Yaxley-Lennon - known as Tommy Robinson - has claimed to have joined the Conservatives after its election win.
In a message to his subscribers on messaging service Telegram he wrote: "OK, I have just joined the Conservative Party.
"Good work everyone that went out and voted for the Conservatives today.
"We have just thwarted our country becoming a socialist dump."
Yaxley-Lennon also praised Boris Johnson's key adviser Dominic Cummings.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "Your country salutes you."
The founding member of the English Defence League, who was once an adviser to UKIP's Gerard Batten, previously endorsed Johnson.
- 1 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 2 MANDRAKE: Chilling news for Telegraph bosses
- 3 More approve of EU leadership than Boris Johnson's premiership, poll finds
- 4 Tory minister's claim over free school meals funding gets quickly debunked
- 5 Minister self-isolates just a day after being spotted flouting mask rules
- 6 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 7 Pret a Manger founder against lockdown because it will only 'save a few thousand lives'
- 8 Viktor Orban has eyes on a Brexit opportunity
- 9 Questions over Nigel Farage's quarantine status as he appears on stage with Donald Trump at rally
- 10 Liz Truss to deliver speech rejecting 'Britain First' strategy ahead of US election
Speaking outside court where he was accused of libelling a Syrian refugee, he said: "Everyone should vote for Boris Johnson.
"If we want Brexit… if we believe in democracy, we have to have Brexit, so yeah, go Boris!"
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.