Tommy Robinson praises Dominic Cummings as he claims to have joined the Tories
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Far-right activist Stephen Yaxley-Lennon - known as Tommy Robinson - has claimed to have joined the Conservatives after its election win.
In a message to his subscribers on messaging service Telegram he wrote: "OK, I have just joined the Conservative Party.
"Good work everyone that went out and voted for the Conservatives today.
"We have just thwarted our country becoming a socialist dump."
Yaxley-Lennon also praised Boris Johnson's key adviser Dominic Cummings.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "Your country salutes you."
The founding member of the English Defence League, who was once an adviser to UKIP's Gerard Batten, previously endorsed Johnson.
- 1 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 2 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 3 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 4 The Tory MPs who failed to vote against a Universal Credit cut
- 5 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 6 Iain Duncan Smith defends calling Donald Trump 'a decent man'
- 7 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 8 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 9 Kwasi Kwarteng confirms post-Brexit review of workers' rights
- 10 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
Speaking outside court where he was accused of libelling a Syrian refugee, he said: "Everyone should vote for Boris Johnson.
"If we want Brexit… if we believe in democracy, we have to have Brexit, so yeah, go Boris!"
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.