Labour now has a leader that looks like they could be PM, claims Blair
- Credit: Archant
Former Labour prime minister Tony Blair has praised Keir Starmer for coming across as a politician who 'looks as if he could be prime minister'.
In comments made before Rebecca Long-Bailey's sacking was announced, Blair praised Sir Keir Starmer's start as Labour leader, claiming he had made the party 'less toxic'.
He told an event hosted by Reuters: 'Keir will know this as well as anyone, there is a long way to go but he has made a very good start, he has made good decisions inside the Labour Party, he is performing well, he is obviously a highly intelligent and capable guy.
'That's been a big change and if we carry on like that and then develop the right policy agenda - which he has got time to do - then we will have a fighting chance, for sure.
'At least we are back on the pitch, which is a welcome thing.'
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'I think the culture is a lot, lot less toxic. I think people are basically wanting and willing to give Keir a chance.'
- 2 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 3 Former Brexit Party MEP dies in diving accident in the Bahamas
- 4 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 5 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 6 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 7 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 8 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 9 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 10 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe