Labour now has a leader that looks like they could be PM, claims Blair
- Credit: Archant
Former Labour prime minister Tony Blair has praised Keir Starmer for coming across as a politician who 'looks as if he could be prime minister'.
In comments made before Rebecca Long-Bailey's sacking was announced, Blair praised Sir Keir Starmer's start as Labour leader, claiming he had made the party 'less toxic'.
He told an event hosted by Reuters: 'Keir will know this as well as anyone, there is a long way to go but he has made a very good start, he has made good decisions inside the Labour Party, he is performing well, he is obviously a highly intelligent and capable guy.
'That's been a big change and if we carry on like that and then develop the right policy agenda - which he has got time to do - then we will have a fighting chance, for sure.
'At least we are back on the pitch, which is a welcome thing.'
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'I think the culture is a lot, lot less toxic. I think people are basically wanting and willing to give Keir a chance.'
- 1 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 2 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 3 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 4 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 5 Rabbits defeat French army
- 6 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 7 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 8 My favourite new Freedom is avoiding selfish anti-maskers
- 9 What IS the liberal response to the migrant crisis?
- 10 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.