Tories select European election candidates that want to revoke Article 50
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The Conservatives have selected a number of European election candidates who are actively campaigning for a People's Vote and to revoke Article 50.
While Remainers might opt for anti-Brexit parties to voice their anger at Brexit, there will be some Conservatives standing in the European elections that oppose the UK leaving the European Union.
In the North West of England the candidate topping the list of Tories is Dr Sajjad Karim, who campaigned for a People's Vote to end the 'madness'.
Dr Karim previously claimed: 'The only way to stop this madness in its tracks is a parliamentary process leading to a People's Vote.
'We want to be leading in our continent ideally through the European Union and projecting ourselves to the globe and winning, not falling down with a whimper.'
You may also want to watch:
Charles Tannock, who co-founded the Conservatives for a People's Vote campaign, will be on the ballot paper in London.
Tannock told Parliament Magazine: 'I have signed this petition for the revocation of Article 50 as it sends a signal to the British government that not all Brits want to 'just get on with it' and leave the EU, even if this means without a deal which has been excluded by a resolution of the UK parliament.
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 6 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 7 Piers Morgan tells Gavin Williamson to resign for being a 'catastrophe'
- 8 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 9 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 10 The bigot we should have called out on day one
'My preferred choice is, of course, to have a long Article 50 extension now in order to allow a final say second referendum with a Remain option.'
New research found that anti-Brexit parties could win twice as many seats in the European elections next month if they agree to join forces.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.