Tory MP accused of rape told he can return to the Commons in September
- Credit: PA
A Tory MP who was arrested on suspicion of rape has been told he can now return to the House of Commons when parliament reconvenes on September 1.
The MP, who has yet to be named but is understood to be a former Tory minister now in his fifties, has had his bail extended to November, the Sunday Times has revealed.
He was arrested on August 1 on suspicion of offences including rape, sexual assault, and assault.
You may also want to watch:
The Tory Party has so far refused to suspend the MP saying that it was 'down to police' to finish their probe before taking action.
- 1 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 2 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 3 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 4 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 5 Brexit changes lead to exodus of Brits from Spain, UK nationals claim
- 6 James O'Brien schools Brexiteer who refuses to accept new EU-UK trade rules
- 7 Brexiteer rebuked after backing Nigel Farage's 'East Germany' claims
- 8 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 9 Tory candidate suspended by party over comments about ‘fat’ food bank user
- 10 No 10 defends Stanley Johnson receiving two coronavirus vaccines while others don't
Labour slammed the decision, warning it risked 'undermining public faith in our politics' and posed a safeguarding issue for staff in Westminster.
The alleged victim, a woman in her twenties and former parliament staffer, claims the Tory MP attacked her in Westminster and around London between July last year and January.
On Saturday night, the Metropolitan police issued a statement saying it would be setting up a specialist team to oversee the investigation, adding that bail had been 'extended to early November 2020'.
This means the MP will be under investigation when he returns to parliament in September.
Last week, deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner wrote to the Tories, saying: 'Suspension would help protect others by making them aware of the allegations he faces and it would also show that the Conservative Party takes safeguarding concerns seriously.'