Boris Johnson compared to Trump after rally photos reveal disappointing crowd
- Credit: PA
A zoomed-out image of the Conservative election launch has shown the venue dwarfing the crowd of Boris Johnson supporters.
Bloomberg political reporter Tim Ross tweeted a picture of the convention hall revealing masses of floor space not visible in many of the press pictures that have been circulated.
"One Tory source says there are 1,200 people here," said Ross. "I estimated about 500."
It appears that the party expected much bigger numbers, as video screens were set up facing the empty areas of the hall.
Numerous media outlets have presented conventional images of the launch, with the Telegraph's front page saying: "Boris Johnson ended the evening engulfed by young Tory fans all chanting his name."
You may also want to watch:
Commentators have compared the scene to the inauguration of Donald Trump, whose ceremony was similarly patchy in support.
"Reminds me of the pictures of 'crowds' at Trump's inauguration," said Twitter user Jason.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 4 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 5 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 6 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 7 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 8 Theresa May brands Michael Gove's no-deal Brexit statement 'utter rubbish'
- 9 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 10 Remainers blamed for Boris Johnson's inability to secure Brexit deal
"We've all been to a wedding with an inappropriately large venue," sympathised twitter user Steve Osborne.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.