Tory former minister threatens to vote against government if it seeks no-deal
A Tory former minister has threatened to resign the party whip and vote against the government if it adopts a policy of seeking a no-deal Brexit.
Grantham and Stamford MP Nick Boles said on Twitter that he would "vote in any way necessary to stop it from happening".
The former skills minister under David Cameron has campaigned for a softer route to Brexit that would see the UK temporarily join the European Economic Area (EEA) and European Free Trade Association (Efta).
If at any point between now and 29 March the government were to announce that 'no deal' Brexit had become its policy, I would immediately resign the Conservative whip and vote in any way necessary to stop it from happening.
-- Nick Boles MP (@NickBoles) December 18, 2018
Boles wrote: "The Cabinet spent this morning discussing preparations for 'no deal' Brexit.
You may also want to watch:
"I accept that it is prudent for the Government to get ready for all eventualities. But I owe my constituents and my colleagues total clarity about my position.
"If at any point between now and 29 March the Government were to announce that 'no deal' Brexit had become its policy, I would immediately resign the Conservative whip and vote in any way necessary to stop it from happening."
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 5 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 6 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 7 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 8 Minister sparks concerns about pig semen after Brexit
- 9 Minister says he 'doesn't understand' accusation he's starving kids in holidays