Conservative MEPs are advertising an internship in EU parliament. Start date? November 1
- Credit: AFP/Getty Images
Conservatives have posted an advert for a six-month job assisting MEPs in Brussels, starting the day after the government claims the UK will leave the EU.
The paid internship was listed as recently as September 25 by the Conservatives and Reformist Group (ECR) within the European parliament, to which the Tories' four MEPs belong.
The listing comes "within the context of the ECR's project to nurture the relationship between the group and the party now and beyond Brexit", says the job listing.
The intern, who will receive 1500 euros a month, is expected to be "a committed supporter of the Conservative party who can demonstrate active political experience, perhaps in [Conservative Campaign Headquarters]".
The listing adds: "This is a great opportunity to learn more about the work of the European parliament and the European Union."
You may also want to watch:
Boris Johnson and his party have been unequivocal in calling for a "clean break Brexit" but the job listing has fuelled speculation about how firm that "do or die" leaving date is.
The advert has been shared amongst some speculation on social media about the purpose of the role.
- 1 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 2 MANDRAKE: Chilling news for Telegraph bosses
- 3 Tory minister's claim over free school meals funding gets quickly debunked
- 4 Minister self-isolates just a day after being spotted flouting mask rules
- 5 More approve of EU leadership than Boris Johnson's premiership, poll finds
- 6 Farage says he can dodge US travel ban because he's a 'journalist'
- 7 'Assorted caviar' and 'board games' - Gifts confiscated from Boris Johnson due to anti-corruption laws
- 8 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 9 Question Time: Tory minister told 'diverse' cabinet doesn't erase race issues in party
- 10 Poll puts Labour on highest level of support since 2014
Liberal Democrat MEP Caroline Voaden said: "If the Tory MEP group is advertising for a six month paid intern in the European parliament, starting in November, I guess I can tell my lovely and brilliant staff that they won't be out of a job in five weeks time then? Excellent."
The New European has approached Conservative party headquarters for comment.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.