Leave-backing Tory MPs call for EU nationals to pay £10 for UK visa
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A group of Leave-backing Tory MPs are recommending that European Union nationals are charged £10 for a visa to enter Britain after Brexit.
It calls for the UK to introduce a visa waiver system, similar to the United States' ESTA, to raise £150 million a year to pay for border control after Brexit.
The report, authored by Tory MP Craig Mackinlay and backed by the Brexiteer European Research Group, suggests the system would provide a 'wealth of information' to boost security and intelligence.
You may also want to watch:
The suggestion is such a charge would generate cash to invest in faster and more automated border checks to 'minimise travel delays for legitimate travellers'.
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 5 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 6 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 7 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 8 Minister sparks concerns about pig semen after Brexit
- 9 Minister says he 'doesn't understand' accusation he's starving kids in holidays
- 10 Piers Morgan calls Boris Johnson a 'blustering buffoon' in attack on PM's handling of Covid-19 pandemic
The US currently charges $14 for an ESTA visa waiver, which allows multiple entry to the country over a period of two years.
It demands that visitors hand over information prior to departure, with their entry then pre-approved, speeding up checks on arrival.
The report has been sent to ministers ahead of the expected publication of an immigration white paper, setting out the Government's plans, in the New Year.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.