Tory politician suspended after making hot cross bun decorated with ‘Nazi swastika’
- Credit: Archant
A Tory councillor has been suspended from the party after allegedly creating a hot cross bun decorated with a 'Nazi swastika'.
Lee Mason, former Lord Mayor of Portsmouth, was suspended from the Conservatives after posting a Snapchat image of a batch of buns he had produced.
The photograph came to light after a screenshot was sent to local newspaper The News.
The councillor denies that one of the bun depicts a swastika, claiming that the photograph had been photoshopped as part of a smear campaign.
But Mason confirmed he made all of the other buns that appeared in the picture, which include an SNP logo, an expletive, and the word 'sex'.
You may also want to watch:
He told the newspaper: 'I have not baked a bun with a Nazi symbol. You can see from the picture that is not a Nazi symbol.
'I baked some cakes, yes, but I haven't done a Nazi symbol on any of them. And there's no Nazi symbols there.'
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 3 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 4 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 5 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 6 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 7 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 8 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 9 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 10 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
He added: 'I'm partly bemused, partly offended that I am being got at like this. I don't know what someone's motive is behind it.'
'It's not something that I would find palatable in any way.'
A spokeswoman for the Portsmouth North Conservative Association said: 'Cllr Lee Mason has been suspended pending the outcome of an investigation.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.