Tracy Brabin raises thousands of pounds for charity by auctioning off ‘shouldergate’ dress
- Credit: PA
Tracy Brabin is raising thousands of pounds for charity after she announced she is auctioning the off-the-shoulder dress that drew criticism after she wore it in the Commons.
Brabin was forced to defend her attire after the dress slipped off her shoulder when she leaned on the despatch box due to a broken ankle on Tuesday.
The Labour MP for Batley and Spen has since decided to sell the dress for charity on eBay, claiming it had sold out on ASOS as a result of the coverage.
"Black dress worn by Tracy Brabin MP in 'shouldergate' as widely covered across the media," the listing read.
"This is an ASOS dress which has been flying off the shelves as a result of the coverage - and is now sold out!"
You may also want to watch:
The money raised will go to Girlguiding, a charity for girls and young women in the UK.
"All money raised will go to Girlguiding UK to support their work helping girls build confidence and self-esteem, in the hope that they grow up to be leaders," the listing continued.
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 6 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 7 Piers Morgan calls Boris Johnson a 'blustering buffoon' in attack on PM's handling of Covid-19 pandemic
- 8 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 9 Government hands private companies £180m to carry out Brexit contracts
- 10 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
As of this morning the aution on eBay had reached more than £10,000.
Brabin responded to criticism of her attire on social media earlier in the week.
She had tweeted: "Sorry I don't have time to reply to all of you commenting on this but I can confirm I'm not... A slag, Hungover, A tart, About to breastfeed, A slapper, Drunk, Just been banged over a wheelie bin.
"Who knew people could get so emotional over a shoulder..."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.