Trailer released for new Brexit film starring Benedict Cumberbatch
- Credit: Archant
The trailer for a new film which focuses on Vote Leave's involvement in the EU referendum campaign has been released.
In the film Benedict Cumberbatch will swap his deerstalker for a balding head to portray Vote Leave boss Dominic Cummings.
The two-hour film titled 'Brexit: The Uncivil War' has been written by James Graham, the writer of political West End plays Ink and This House.
It is based on first-hand accounts from key players in the Leave and Remain campaigns, and a variety of books that have been published around the EU referendum.
The film takes a particular focus on those who acted behind-the-scenes to influence the political campaigns including Craig Oliver, David Cameron's director of communications, Matthew Elliot, the political lobbyist, and Zack Massingham, the founder of a data technology company that helped to target voters through social media.
You may also want to watch:
It will look at how the data-driven campaigns were utilised, the use of the £350m a week claim, and the behind-the-scenes decisions that led to the Brexit vote on 23 June 2016.
It will also explore the roles played by politicians and the financial backers that were bankrolling them.
- 1 Tory Brexiteers demand Northern Ireland Protocol is scrapped
- 2 Boris Johnson: Liar of the land
- 3 Why so many on the left think Jews don't count
- 4 Battle lines drawn between old rivals Johnson and Gove
- 5 Joe Biden's pick for trade envoy wants to ‘review’ negotiations with UK
- 6 David Lammy: Don't fall for the right's culture wars trap
- 7 French diplomat brands Boris Johnson 'a liar' who will blame Brexit costs on Covid
- 8 Boris Johnson urges Britons to eat more local fish as solution to post-Brexit trade disruptions
- 9 Campaign urges Brits to declare themselves 'European' on 2021 census
- 10 The end of Britain is nigh: Here's how, when and why...
Cumberbatch said recently it was a 'hell of a role' to play the Vote Leave boss.
He said: 'The campaign was the most extraordinary story, one of the most extraordinary stories in all the history of politics.
'It really encapsulated that for me.'
'Brexit: The Uncivil War' will air on Channel 4 at 9pm on 7th January 2019. It will premiere on HBO in the US at 9pm on 19th January.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.