‘There’s no-one there’: Twitter roasts Welsh Tory candidate for ‘Brexit mood’ tweet
- Credit: Archant
A Welsh Conservative candidate has faced online ridicule for a tweet he posted which showed the 'mood to get Brexit done on the streets of Carmarthenshire' - only no-one was there.
Harvard Hughes was a Conservative candidate for Carmarthen East and Dinefwr in the 2017 general election who lost to the candidate for Plaid Cymru by over 5,000 votes.
Hughes is running again against Plaid's Jonathan Edwards - backed by Unite to Remain - and Labour's Maria Carroll.
Out canvassing on the busy streets of Carmarthenshire, the candidate paused for a quick selfie by a bridge to show the buzzing mood to get Brexit done in Wales.
He was quickly roasted by Twitter users for the lonely selfie, with The New European writer Matt Withers pointing out: "There's no-one there".
You may also want to watch:
Hughes went on to block Withers on Twitter.
Other users made jokes with one person saying the picture was an "analogy of Brexit and 'getting it done' and this isolationism of a dirt track".
- 1 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 2 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 3 Iain Duncan Smith defends calling Donald Trump 'a decent man'
- 4 Kwasi Kwarteng confirms post-Brexit review of workers' rights
- 5 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 6 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 7 Bob Geldof vindicated over pro-EU fishing stunt, suggests broadcaster
- 8 Brandon Lewis unable to explain to Piers Morgan reason for UK having 'worst COVID death in the world'
- 9 Brexiteer MP criticised after suggesting No 10 should break Northern Ireland Protocol
- 10 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
Another poster said: "Look behind you mate, I think they've all run away."