UKIP mocked after saying it will not stand full slate of election candidates
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
UKIP has claimed it will not field a full list of candidates in the general election - not because of claims it is low on support - but because it now backs Boris Johnson's deal.
In a tweet from the political party it says that it has made the decision in the "interests of Brexit at heart".
Despite claiming that "Boris' deal is not true Brexit in any way" it says it is a "step closer to Brexit than we would be under Labour or the Lib Dems".
They said consequently they will not field a full list of candidates in the 2019 general election.
It comes as there was speculation the party was "on its last legs" and would struggle to field any candidates.
You may also want to watch:
Its leader Richard Braine resigned hours after the election was announced.
The announcement was quickly mocked by Twitter users.
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Tory MP says policies no longer match 'principles on which millions have backed us'
- 4 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 5 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 6 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 7 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 8 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 9 Minister sparks concerns about pig semen after Brexit
- 10 Brexiteer in lockdown denial over 49% drop in constituency Covid-19 cases
"I've decided not to fly to the moon..." wrote Fraser Forsyth.
"I have decided to rule myself out of the final for the Worlds Strongest Man this year" tweeted @LewisPolitics93.
"I have decided not to enter Mr Olympia this year" joked user @mcfc_j.
"I've decided not to be Sheffield Wednesday's star striker." said Adam Allcroft.
"I have decided not to take up my place in strictly come dancing due to not wanting to dominate. Let the lesser known's have a chance," replied @jesuiscanard.
Hans Niesund replied: "I too have decided not to field a full list of candidates in the upcoming #GeneralElection. For the same real reason as you."
Another tweeted: "I have just sent Kylie Minogue an email telling her I wont be pursuing a relationship with her..for the same reasons as you."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.