Union calls for free public transport for NHS heroes
- Credit: PA
A leading union is calling for all NHS workers and other essential staff fighting the coronavirus pandemic to be given free travel across public transport.
The Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA) said other parts of the UK should follow the example of Transport for Wales, which is making travel by rail and bus free for NHS workers.
TSSA general secretary Manuel Cortes said: 'Heroes have to be treated as heroes and the least we can do is allow them to travel freely to and from work at this time.
'This is already happening in other countries, such as Italy and Spain. The Westminster Government must do likewise and make sure this happens here.
'Ministers need to specify that only essential workers should travel on public transport at this time and this should be made free because these are the people saving lives, as well as keeping our country moving and supplied during an unfolding and unprecedented health emergency.
You may also want to watch:
'The time for action is now. Not days from now.'
- 1 Why don't Brexiteers like to talk about Brexit any more?
- 2 Brexit: British 'expats' in Spain facing deportation over residency
- 3 Michael O'Leary: My hope for the future over Brexit
- 4 Five years of Brexit summed up by Cold War Steve
- 5 When Eton took on a team of miners at football
- 6 Is the Sun setting on Murdoch's global media empire?
- 7 Did Donald Trump really wear his trousers backwards at Republicans' North Carolina rally?
- 8 English to be temporarily replaced by French as EU's 'working language' in 2022
- 9 Major disaster: How Tories' 1992 victory sowed seeds of Brexit
- 10 Priti Patel urged to publish promised assessment on impact of ending freedom of movement
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.