‘We’re in a nasty mess my precious!’ - Unsettling video portrays Theresa May as Gollum
- Credit: Archant
Theresa May has been portrayed as Gollum from Lord of the Rings in an unselling video that pokes fun at the way she obsesses over her Brexit deal.
The Hollywood actor Andy Serkis donned a Conservative-blue jacket and grey wig for the sketch.
'Precious ... our agreement, this is it. Our deal,' hisses Serkis as he cowers in a darkened Number 10, poring over a copy of the Withdrawal Agreement MPs will vote on on Tuesday.
'We takes back control! Money, borders, laws... blue passportses!'
The video, produced by a company which has previously made films for the Labour Party, ends by calling for a People's Vote on Brexit.
You may also want to watch:
Serkis won a host of awards for his portrayal of Gollum in Lord Of The Rings, a cowering, deformed creature with a split personality who obsesses over his 'precious' ring.
The British actor's disturbing turn as May sees the PM fighting an internal battle between wanting to see her Brexit deal through and facing up to her critics.
- 1 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 2 BBC journalist admits being 'haunted' by fear broadcaster 'built up' Nigel Farage and UKIP
- 3 Welsh government takes Westminster to court over post-Brexit bill
- 4 Boris Johnson proposes saving United Kingdom with 'Project Love' plan
- 5 Prosecution threat for Tories' co-chairman
- 6 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 7 No plans for EU membership vote in independent Scotland, says Sturgeon
- 8 Scientist tells Boris Johnson to cancel India trip over new variant fears
- 9 Brussels insists Northern Ireland Brexit protocol must remain in place
- 10 EU president faces fresh calls to resign over 'disastrous' Covid vaccine programme
'It hurts the people, makes them poorer,' pleads one side.
'But I finds it and negotiates it. We wants it! We has to do it!' spits the other.
The video has been viewed more than one million times since it was posted to Facebook and YouTube and has been shared by the likes of Gary Lineker and Stephen Fry.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.