New EU commission president trolls Brexit Party by saying she will only miss Remainer MEPs
- Credit: Archant
Ursula von der Leyen, the new president of the European Commission, has wound up the Brexit Party MEPs by saying she will only miss Remainers in the parliament when Brexit happens.
Von de Leyen paid tribute to those anti-Brexit campaigners who had fought in the election to return a result more favourable to Britain staying in the European Union.
She told the parliament: "If I look at our very brave Remain MEPs I can only say, I'm sorry, we will miss you."
"Thank you for your courage. Thank you for having been at our side."
To jeers from the Brexit Party, she continued: "We will never miss those who scream and yell."
You may also want to watch:
"And now, thanks God, without you, we are constructing our future partnership to the UK."
The politician said that the timetable for negotiations was "extremely challenging" but that the EU would try to "make the most" of the time.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 5 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 6 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 7 WILL SELF: Two places where everyone knows your name
- 9 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 10 How the Daily Star became Boris Johnson's biggest critic
But she said that the UK would have the most to suffer from failing to reach agreement before Brexit happens.
"That will clearly harm our interests but it will clearly impact more the UK," she said.
But she added: "But at the very end I hope for the sake of the European people and the British people that we will have an unprecedented partnership".