"They promised a global Britain. Instead they got a lonely Britain" - the barnstorming Brexit speech that's going viral
A blistering assault on Brexiteers in the European Parliament, labelling them "political crooks", is proving a viral sensation on social media.
Viviane Reding, a former European commissioner, said that rather than the "global Britain" promised by the likes of Boris Johnson and Liam Fox, Brexit was ushering in "a lonely Britain".
And Britain was "at the mercy of the DUP at home and trade partners abroad," the Luxembourger said.
The video has received thousands of retweets and likes since being posted online yesterday. Ms Reding, an MEP for Luxembourg's Christian Social People's Party, has served as a European commissioner for education and culture, information society and media and justice, fundamental rights and citizenship.
She told the parliament: "After 18 months of political denial, the UK has finally accepted the three divorce conditions. And now everybody knows what Brexit really means.
You may also want to watch:
"Brexiters promised £350m a week to their citizens. Instead they have to pay billions of euros.
"They promised economic benefits. Instead the pound and the British growth are at their lowest."
"Brexiters promised £350 million a week to their citizens, instead they have to pay billions of euros. They promised a global Britain, instead they got a lonely Britain." Former European Commissioner Viviane Reding is "saddened British people [are] victim to political crooks". pic.twitter.com/eBHNsrveAV
-- Channel 4 News (@Channel4News) December 13, 2017
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 5 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 6 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 7 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 8 Minister sparks concerns about pig semen after Brexit
- 9 Minister says he 'doesn't understand' accusation he's starving kids in holidays
- 10 Brexiteer in lockdown denial over 49% drop in constituency Covid-19 cases
The Brexiteers "promised sovereignty", she said.
"Instead the government is at the mercy of the DUP at home and trade partners abroad.
"They promised a global Britain. Instead they got a lonely Britain.
"They promised to take back control. Instead they are spinning out of control.
"I am saddened that British people have fallen victim to political crooks and that the result is a divided and weakened UK.
"Fortunately, the European family is united after the Brexit wake-up call. And fortunately the citizens' problems found a positive solution in the first part of the negotiations. Thank you [European chief negotiator] Michel Barnier."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.