"They promised a global Britain. Instead they got a lonely Britain" - the barnstorming Brexit speech that's going viral
A blistering assault on Brexiteers in the European Parliament, labelling them "political crooks", is proving a viral sensation on social media.
Viviane Reding, a former European commissioner, said that rather than the "global Britain" promised by the likes of Boris Johnson and Liam Fox, Brexit was ushering in "a lonely Britain".
And Britain was "at the mercy of the DUP at home and trade partners abroad," the Luxembourger said.
The video has received thousands of retweets and likes since being posted online yesterday. Ms Reding, an MEP for Luxembourg's Christian Social People's Party, has served as a European commissioner for education and culture, information society and media and justice, fundamental rights and citizenship.
She told the parliament: "After 18 months of political denial, the UK has finally accepted the three divorce conditions. And now everybody knows what Brexit really means.
You may also want to watch:
"Brexiters promised £350m a week to their citizens. Instead they have to pay billions of euros.
"They promised economic benefits. Instead the pound and the British growth are at their lowest."
"Brexiters promised £350 million a week to their citizens, instead they have to pay billions of euros. They promised a global Britain, instead they got a lonely Britain." Former European Commissioner Viviane Reding is "saddened British people [are] victim to political crooks". pic.twitter.com/eBHNsrveAV
-- Channel 4 News (@Channel4News) December 13, 2017
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 6 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 7 Tory MPs vote down Lords bid to protect NHS from post-Brexit trade deals
- 8 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
- 9 Boris Johnson narrowly avoids defeat over vote on trade deals with genocidal regimes
- 10 Trump caller hangs up on James O'Brien after failing to cite ex-president's 'truths'
The Brexiteers "promised sovereignty", she said.
"Instead the government is at the mercy of the DUP at home and trade partners abroad.
"They promised a global Britain. Instead they got a lonely Britain.
"They promised to take back control. Instead they are spinning out of control.
"I am saddened that British people have fallen victim to political crooks and that the result is a divided and weakened UK.
"Fortunately, the European family is united after the Brexit wake-up call. And fortunately the citizens' problems found a positive solution in the first part of the negotiations. Thank you [European chief negotiator] Michel Barnier."