Watch: Speaker Bercow rebukes Trump over “racism” and “sexism”
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The Speaker of the House of Commons didn't hold back in stating he's 'strongly opposed' to Donald Trump addressing parliament
Was John Bercow right to speak out against Trump addressing the houses of Parliament?
Read John Bercow's speech in full:
'What I will say is this - an address by a foreign leader to both houses of Parliament is not an automatic right, it is an earned honour. Moreover there are many precedents for state visits to take place to our country which do not include an address to both houses of Parliament.
The second point is in relation to Westminster Hall there are three keyholders to Westminster Hall, the Speaker of the Commons, the Speaker of the House of Lords and the Lord Great Chamberlain - ordinarily we are able to work by consensus and the hall would be used for a purpose such as an address...I must say to the Honourable Gentleman, to all who signed his Early Day Motions and to others...that before the imposition of the migrant ban I would myself have been strongly opposed to an address by President Trump in Westminster Hall. After the imposition of the migrant ban by President Trump I am even more strongly opposed to an address by President Trump in Westminster Hall.
You may also want to watch:
So far as the Royal Gallery is concerned...I do not perhaps have as strong a say in that matter...although customarily an invitation to a visiting leader to deliver an address there would be issued in the names of the two speakers - I would not wish to issue an invitation to President Trump.
We value our relationship with the United States, if a state visit takes place that is way beyond and above the pay grade of the Speaker. However, as far as this place is concerned I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the House of Commons.'
- 1 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 2 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 3 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 6 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 8 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 9 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 10 Second shop owner bans Tory MPs who voted against free school meals motion
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.