Welsh public want to stay in the EU if there is no deal
More people in Wales favour staying in the EU than crashing out of the bloc in the event of no deal, a new poll has shown.
The poll, by YouGov on behalf of Plaid Cymru, shows a clear lead for those who wish to remain in the EU (48%), compared to those who believe we should leave even if a deal is not reached (42%).
Smashing a hole through the Westminster Government's repeated insistence that 'No Deal' should be kept on the table, the data clearly shows a swell of support for EU membership in the event of a breakdown in negotiations before March 2019.
Plaid MP Hywel Williams said: "The reality of a 'No-Deal' Brexit is clearly not in the public interest and this poll shows the public would reject it.
'A 'No-Deal' Brexit puts jobs, medicines, citizens' rights and even food supplies at risk. With a matter of months left to go before we find ourselves teetering on the Brexit cliff edge, Westminster must listen to the people of Wales – to 'No-Deal' they say 'no thanks.'
You may also want to watch:
'Deal or no deal, there are few left claiming that our nation will be richer as a result of our exit from the EU. It was only a matter of time before ordinary people called time on the bluff and bravado of this Westminster Government and the zealous Brexiteers who increasingly reject reality."
The people of Wales could see through "the pack of lies they were told two years ago", said Williams.
- 1 Could Mexican Coke spark a new Coca-Cola cold war?
- 2 A view from inside the Heathrow petri dish
- 3 The reverse Midas touch of Michael Gove
- 4 First black female mayor elected in Liverpool as Labour holds on to role
- 5 Dominic Raab 'chickened out' of a no-deal Brexit, Michel Barnier says
- 6 Nicola Sturgeon concedes Holyrood majority for SNP is a ‘very long shot’
- 7 Keir Starmer faces a ‘mountain to climb’ after Hartlepool defeat
- 8 Labour claims ‘extraordinary results’ in Welsh Parliament election
- 9 Welsh Labour 'exceeding expectations' as party confident of winning Leanne Wood's seat
"Now they know the truth, people must have a right to reject it – a vote on the final deal.
'It's time the fanatical Brexiteers swallowed a spoonful of their own medicine and listened to the will of the people.'
YouGov surveyed 1,034 adults in Wales between August 9-13.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.