Jess Phillips is the Labour candidate ‘to keep Boris Johnson awake at night’
- Credit: PA
Labour leadership candidate Jess Phillips is the one to keep Boris Johnson 'lying awake at night' according to one MP.
According to polling Phillips is currently third favourite to become the next Labour leader - but has an uphill struggle against Sir Keir Starmer and Rebecca Long Bailey.
But one Labour MP said that she has what it takes to put the prime minister's job at risk.
Wes Streeting was asked by Radio 4's Today programme about the possibility of another Brexit referendum under her leadership.
He replied: "As ever with Jess honesty is the best policy.
You may also want to watch:
"I think she has been very clear that she doesn't want to rule anything out in the longer term.
"But Jess doesn't have a crystal ball like any other candidate.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 3 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 4 The harsh truths learned from halt in Brexit talks
- 5 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 6 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 7 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 8 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 9 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 10 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
"She's set out in the Independent today a really clear pitch on where she stands on Europe including being honest about the fact that if people want to join the rejoin campaign, they shouldn't expect her to be launching it any time soon.
"In all likelihood the next Labour manifesto won't contain a commitment to rejoin."
He continued to explain why he backs Phillips as the next party leader.
"I think people can expect three things from Jess Phillips if she's elected leader of the Labour Party.
"She will hold Boris Johnson to every promise he has made because he hasn't got any excuses now.
"I think if Jess is leader of the Labour Party Boris Johnson will be lying awake knowing his job is at risk if he messes up because she will be chomping at his heels."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.