Jess Phillips is the Labour candidate ‘to keep Boris Johnson awake at night’
- Credit: PA
Labour leadership candidate Jess Phillips is the one to keep Boris Johnson 'lying awake at night' according to one MP.
According to polling Phillips is currently third favourite to become the next Labour leader - but has an uphill struggle against Sir Keir Starmer and Rebecca Long Bailey.
But one Labour MP said that she has what it takes to put the prime minister's job at risk.
Wes Streeting was asked by Radio 4's Today programme about the possibility of another Brexit referendum under her leadership.
He replied: "As ever with Jess honesty is the best policy.
You may also want to watch:
"I think she has been very clear that she doesn't want to rule anything out in the longer term.
"But Jess doesn't have a crystal ball like any other candidate.
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 6 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 7 Tory MPs vote down Lords bid to protect NHS from post-Brexit trade deals
- 8 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
- 9 Boris Johnson narrowly avoids defeat over vote on trade deals with genocidal regimes
- 10 Trump caller hangs up on James O'Brien after failing to cite ex-president's 'truths'
"She's set out in the Independent today a really clear pitch on where she stands on Europe including being honest about the fact that if people want to join the rejoin campaign, they shouldn't expect her to be launching it any time soon.
"In all likelihood the next Labour manifesto won't contain a commitment to rejoin."
He continued to explain why he backs Phillips as the next party leader.
"I think people can expect three things from Jess Phillips if she's elected leader of the Labour Party.
"She will hold Boris Johnson to every promise he has made because he hasn't got any excuses now.
"I think if Jess is leader of the Labour Party Boris Johnson will be lying awake knowing his job is at risk if he messes up because she will be chomping at his heels."