No 10 sidesteps key question over Boris Johnson's lockdown bike ride
- Credit: PA
Number 10 has sidestepped a key question about Boris Johnson's bike ride in east London during coronavirus lockdown.
The prime minister's official spokesperson insisted the prime minister's exercise was permitted under coronavirus guidance.
He added: “The prime minister acted in accordance with the Covid guidance while he was exercising.
“We have always trusted the public to exercise good judgment throughout the pandemic when we have asked them to exercise locally.”
But asked whether people can drive or take public transport to exercise, the spokesperson dodged the question, as well as questions about how far someone can travel to walk or cycle.
You may also want to watch:
Johnson’s press secretary Allegra Stratton, asked if Johnson regretted his bike ride, said: “He will … be doing bike rides again – you all know how much he loves his bike.”
- 1 The Prime Minister is out of his league
- 2 Can King Louis turn back the clock?
- 3 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 4 The cannabis conundrum
- 5 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 6 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 7 Why Germany's Greens failed to rise on floods
- 8 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 9 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 10 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.