Tory MP chided over tweet celebrating Brexit anniversary
- Credit: AFP via Getty Images
Twitter users have chided Tory MP Andrea Jenkyns for a post she sent celebrating the one year anniversary of Brexit.
Jenkyns, a Brexiteer, posted a photo of herself with constituents celebrating Britain's formal exit from the EU on January 31, 2020.
"A year ago today when we had our 'Big Brexit Bash' Celebration in Morley. Happy Brexit day everyone. What a night and what a year," the backbencher wrote, sharing a picture of herself in a crowd of people waving Union Flags.
But after a year of battling a devastating pandemic, fraught trade negotiations with Brussels, and endless scaremongering over a no-deal Brexit, few social media users shared Jenkyns' joy.
Keith Burge, a director at the Institute of Economic Development, said: "What a year indeed. Andrea once again putting the moron into oxymoron."
You may also want to watch:
Chrissie asked: "What exactly are we celebrating, Andrea?"
Writer and comedian James Felton posted: "106,000 dead."
- 1 Could Mexican Coke spark a new Coca-Cola cold war?
- 2 A view from inside the Heathrow petri dish
- 3 Sadiq Khan re-elected as London mayor as Laurence Fox loses £10k deposit
- 4 Why can't the English see what the Scots and Welsh can?
- 5 The man the Soviet Union left in space
- 6 Labour should never have swallowed the Brexit pill
- 7 Noel Clarke: The man who would not take no for an answer
- 8 Election results demonstrate why rejoining EU is a long way off
- 9 Lack of SNP majority shows Scotland is not agitating for indyref2 – Gove
- 10 Labour gain seat from Tories in David Cameron's backyard
Former English rugby union player Brian Moore followed up: "Yes, what a year, what a really memorable year. It's just been great."
Cold War Steve posted a picture of what he thought the party had really been like.
London entertainment magazine The Londonist quipped: "Something very soothing about seeing a party that looks like significantly less fun than lockdown, though?"
"100,000+ #COVID19 deaths on her government's watch. Hauliers sending empty trucks to EU27 countries. UK meat and seafood exports rotting because of #Brexit red tape. UK firms relocating to EU 27 to enable them to continue trading. And she wants to party," posted David Head.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.