Arron Banks' man in New Zealand election hit by electoral wipe out
- Credit: AFP via Getty Images
Leave EU's man in the New Zealand has seen his all of his party's seats wiped out in the election.
Winston Peters, leader of New Zealand First, was the country's deputy prime minister as part of the coalition arrangements for Jacinda Ardern's government - working alongside the Greens.
But it was reported he had enlisted the help of Nigel Farage ally and Leave EU officials Arron Banks and Andy Wigmore to help create "mischief" and "mayhem" to dethrone Ardern from power.
Banks and Wigmore have said that they are offering strategic advice to Peters, something the politician denied was part of the plan.
Portraying her as "Jacinderella and the Ugly Sisters", Banks previously said he hoped to increase the power share to 12% to remove the prime minister from her post should she need the support of a coalition again.
You may also want to watch:
"The bottom line is I believe he's going to do a lot better than people think he's going to do," he said.
"Jacinda (Ardern) is popular, but her party isn't it," he continued.
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 4 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 5 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 6 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 7 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 8 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 9 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 10 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
"The way we see it is that the kind of left have tamed the National party. They are just neutered. And so Winston is that one person willing to kind of take the role of the anti-Christ, if you want, to the woke brigade and I think it's a vote winner."
But as Ardern sweeps to a landslide victory, Peters has seen his party lose all of its seats, and his career effectively ended.
Despite polling putting New Zealand First on as a little as 1% last week, he told the media: "We have got a surge going on at the moment for New Zealand First - I can feel it out in the streets and I can see it in the malls."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.