Date of Batley and Spen by-election announced
- Credit: PA
Voters in Batley and Spen will go to the polls on July 1, with the sister of murdered MP Jo Cox hoping to retain the seat for Labour.
Kim Leadbeater has been selected as the Labour candidate for the by-election in the West Yorkshire constituency previously represented by her sister.
The by-election was triggered after Tracy Brabin had to quit Westminster following her election as the first mayor of West Yorkshire.
The writ for the by-election was moved in the Commons by Labour on Thursday, with the party saying polling day will take place on July 1.
Labour is defending a majority of 3,525 over the Tories from the 2019 general election and Sir Keir Starmer’s party will be desperate to avoid losing another northern seat.
The party lost Hartlepool in a by-election on May 6 as another brick in the “red wall” of northern seats crumbled, with Ryan Stephenson hoping for a repeat performance as the Tory candidate in Batley and Spen.
Campaigning in Batley and Spen could be complicated by coronavirus, with Kirklees one of the areas where people have been encouraged to “minimise travel” due to the spread of the Indian variant.
- 1 Why Bristol is the street art city
- 2 Telling the truth is now the only sackable offence
- 3 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 4 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 5 What I learned by avoiding England and the Euros
- 6 How long can Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi play on?
- 7 Could southern discomfort sink a rebalancing agenda still in its infancy?
- 8 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 9 Why Brexit still feels like a personal loss
- 10 Has Covid killed off the cheesy Euro summer holiday hit?
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.