Tory MP schooled by Martin Luther King Jr's daughter following anti-racism tweet
- Credit: Archant
Tory MP Ben Bradley has been schooled by Martin Luther King Jr's daughter following a tweet he posted quoting the civil rights preacher.
Bradley has been called a "global embarrassment" after incorrectly adapting a speech by Martin Luther King Jr on Twitter to support his opinions on race relations.
Hot off the heels from requesting the government appoint a minister for men, the Nottinghamshire MP tweeted: "'I have a dream…will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin, but by the content of their character.’
“His point was than [sic] skin colour doesn’t matter. We’re equal. Now you want to define people by their physical characteristics?"
Bernice King, the activist's youngest child replied: "My father’s point and central to his beliefs, teachings and activism (per his speeches/books) was this: We cannot condone racism, but must eradicate it as one of the pervasive, systemic, overt and destructive Triple Evils, with militarism and poverty being the other two."
Bradley quickly deleted his message, but not speedily enough for some users.
You may also want to watch:
Shadow justice minister David Lammy posted: "Ben Bradley MP schooled by Martin Luther King’s daughter after failing at basic comprehension. Boris Johnson’s MPs are a global embarrassment."
Comedian Nish Kumar shared: "It’s important to take pleasure in the little things at the moment. The sound of birdsong, or the feeling of a gentle breeze. Or Ben Bradley getting admonished by Dr. King’s daughter for failing to understand her father’s message of peace and tolerance."
- 1 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 2 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 3 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 4 James O'Brien schools Brexiteer who refuses to accept new EU-UK trade rules
- 5 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 6 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 7 Scottish fishing boats ditch UK waters for Denmark to escape Brexit red tape
- 8 Brexiteer rebuked after backing Nigel Farage's 'East Germany' claims
- 9 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
- 10 Keir Starmer got it right with vote on Brexit deal
Liverpool Echo political editor Liam Thorp added: "Ben Bradley rounding off his already stellar nomination for worst MP going by being completely schooled by the daughter of Martin Luther King JR after a ludicrous attempt to bend the meaning of his most famous words."
@possiblynotel followed up: "If people started judging Ben Bradley by the content of his character he'd be seriously f****d."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.