PM mocks Angela Rayner after shadow cabinet reshuffle
- Credit: Parliament Live
Boris Johnson has mocked Angela Rayner for her new shadow cabinet job titles, claiming the deputy Labour leader will become “hungrier” for more power.
Angela Rayner was given greater authority within the shadow cabinet following intense criticism of Keir Starmer's initial move to strip her of key roles as party chairwoman and campaign co-ordinator following the elections.
But prime minister Johnson taunted Rayner over her new jobs.
Speaking in the Commons, Johnson praised his Conservative colleague Katherine Fletcher for seconding a motion linked to the Queen’s Speech before noting the South Ribble MP was formerly a safari guide.
Johnson went on: “She knows in any pride of lions, it is the male who tends to occupy the position of titular, of nominal authority, but the most dangerous beast, the prize hunter of the pack is in fact the lioness.”
At this stage, one MP shouted “she’s behind you” with Conservative former prime minister Theresa May positioned behind Johnson.
The prime minister added: “I’m sure (Starmer) bears this in mind as he contemplates the member, his friend (Rayner) – the deputy leader, the shadow first secretary of state, the shadow chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and shadow secretary of state for the future of work – though the more titles he feeds her, the hungrier I fear she is likely to become.”
- 1 Brexiteers propose return of imperial measurements in report on reducing 'red tape'
- 2 The cheerleaders who have let Boris Johnson get away with it
- 3 Amazon order shows how we're all paying the price for Brexit
- 4 Why have Remainers gone so quiet?
- 5 Why don't Brexiteers like to talk about Brexit any more?
- 6 PMQs: Ian Blackford drops truth bomb over post-Brexit trade deal with Australia
- 7 How the Kominsky Method grapples with growing old
- 8 Crisis in the unpicked fruit fields shows Brexit is rotten
- 9 When Eton took on a team of miners at football
- 10 Politicians should vote on Australian post-Brexit trade deal, says Nicola Sturgeon
Rayner then jokingly gestured to Johnson that she was watching him.
She later wrote on Twitter: “The only title I’m hungry for, @BorisJohnson, is deputy prime minister.”
Earlier, Starmer congratulated Conservative former minister Shailesh Vara for opening the debate on the Queen’s Speech and joked: “I am also told he has a black belt in taekwondo so I now know who to call upon at the next shadow cabinet meeting.”
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.