Minister self-isolates just a day after being spotted flouting mask rules
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Another Tory minister is self-isolating just one day after he was spotted flouting rules on masks.
Brandon Lewis - the Northern Ireland secretary - was witnessed in a chauffeur car without a face mask, despite Downing Street saying tthat they must cover up when travelling in government vehicles, despite a loophole in the rules for chauffer-driven cars.
A source close to the minister said he had removed his mask to drink a cup of coffee in the car.
Now Lewis is said to be self-isolating after coming into contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid-19.
He tweeted: “I have been informed that I have recently come into contact with someone who has since tested positive for coronavirus.
You may also want to watch:
“While I do not currently have any symptoms, I am now self-isolating in line with government guidance.”
It comes just over a week after Matt Hancock was snapped not wearing a mask while travelling to the Department of Health and Social Care in a ministerial car, despite repeatedly asking members of the public to cover up.
The health minister was then filmed recording a message in Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading on Tuesday without a mask, which is in breach of government guidelines.
- 1 Brexiteer begins swearing after discovering extent of trade between GB and NI
- 2 BBC presenter attracts complaints after calling Brexiteers 'headbangers, zealots and quislings'
- 3 Matt Hancock causes controversy after suggesting swift approval of Pfizer vaccine was due to Brexit
- 4 Twitter users report Nadine Dorries following controversial tweet about the Pfizer vaccine and Brexit
- 5 Michael Gove accused of going 'full Trump' after attacking Good Morning Britain's ratings
- 6 Netherlands causes hilarity with use of Brexit 'monster' to issue warning to citizens
- 7 Michael Gove asked FIVE TIMES to explain what a 'substantial meal' is
- 8 British expats seethe at post-Brexit travel restrictions
- 9 Brexiteer mocked after dreaming up term to describe Britain's Covid vaccination programme
- 10 Matt Hancock says neighbour awarded Covid work after WhatsApp text went through 'the normal channels'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.