No-one will be able to destroy the British sausage, insists minister
The New European
- Credit: Parliament Live
The government will “stand up for the British sausage and no-one will ever be able to destroy it”, a minister has insisted, amid the latest Brexit spat between the UK and EU.
Conservative frontbencher Ranil Jayawardena made the pledge amid a row between the EU and the UK over the meat product.
Brussels has threatened to launch a trade war against Britain if it fails to implement checks on goods entering Northern Ireland under the terms of the Brexit “divorce” settlement.
UK Brexit minister Lord Frost also refused to rule out the prospect that the UK could unilaterally delay imposing checks on British-made sausages and other chilled meats due to come into force at the end of the month.
Speaking in the Commons, Labour’s Paula Barker said: “Can I ask the ministers to impress on their Cabinet colleagues the need to resolve these delays and press for a speedy resolution in order to facilitate efficient trade across borders?”
Jayawardena replied: “We have called for pragmatism in this area.
“We are a sovereign nation, we are British and we are proud of it, and we are going to stand by every corner of this country as we deliver trade benefits and create jobs.
- 1 Why don't Brexiteers like to talk about Brexit any more?
- 2 Major disaster: How Tories' 1992 victory sowed seeds of Brexit
- 3 Is the Sun setting on Murdoch's global media empire?
- 4 Brexit: British 'expats' in Spain facing deportation over residency
- 5 The 40 best European TV shows to stream
- 6 The fight against the homogenisation of the British Isles
- 7 When Eton took on a team of miners at football
- 8 Did Donald Trump really wear his trousers backwards at Republicans' North Carolina rally?
- 9 English to be temporarily replaced by French as EU's 'working language' in 2022
- 10 Michael O'Leary: My hope for the future over Brexit
“In respect of the issues around meat, it is wrong that anyone should be threatening the British sausage. We will stand up for the British sausage and no-one will ever be able to destroy it.”
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.