Video resurfaces of Boris Johnson claiming nobody would be talking about Brexit in 2020
- Credit: PA
A video of Boris Johnson at the last election claiming nobody would be talking about Brexit in 2020 because he will have done his trade deal has gone viral as the UK's departure from the European Union still dominates headlines.
Brexit has overtaken the coronavirus as the top story on news headlines, with the UK government threatening to walk away from talks with the EU without a deal.
A video of a reporter asking about Johnson's "get Brexit done" pledge has since gone viral after the prime minister insisted his trade deal will have been sorted after the general election.
Bloomberg reporter Joe Mayes told the Tory leader back in December 2019: “When a Brit voter turns to you in the middle of 2020 and says, ‘Mr Johnson, you said that Brexit would be done so why do I keep hearing about it on the TV, radio, reading about it in the newspapers and the negotiations with the EU…prime minister you said it would be done.’
“What would you say to that voter?”
But in a defiant defence of his 'get Brexit done' slogan, he told Mayes: “I don't think that such a person will put that question in that way because I think actually what will happen is it will be done.”
Mayes reposted the video on Twitter with more than 130,000 watching the clip in recent days.
- 1 The biggest scandal may be that no rules were broken
- 2 A chapter is over for Britain, for good or ill
- 3 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 4 The deep-seated issues beneath Sofagate
- 5 What's the appeal behind Line of Duty?
- 6 BBC journalist admits being 'haunted' by fear broadcaster 'built up' Nigel Farage and UKIP
- 7 Welsh government takes Westminster to court over post-Brexit bill
- 8 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 9 Alan Duncan should have spoken out sooner about Boris Johnson
- 10 Boris Johnson proposes saving United Kingdom with 'Project Love' plan
"This aged well," said Keiji Nishitani.
"2019 Boris has a message for you. Listen to it and see if you trust him to predict 2021," wrote Nikhil Shah.
"He was wrong then because he’s always made it up as he went along. No plan, no strategy," posted David Walker.
Another commented: "When leaders turn out so wrong they get sacked from normal jobs."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.