David Cameron splashes out on luxury £50k outdoor pool as country prepares for possible second lockdown
- Credit: PA
David Cameron is adding a luxurious heated swimming pool to his £1.5 million family home in the Cotswolds.
The former prime minister, an architect of modern-day Tory austerity, has reportedly applied for planning permission for a 45 by 13 foot outdoor pool.
West Oxfordshire District Council officials are yet to approve the build, after a complaints from a neighbour it could turn the area into a local "Benidorm". Officials called for a groundwater impact assessment for the depth of the pool.
At two metres deep, the pool will have eight underwater lights and sit in his garden. It is likely to get a green light because it is being built in a low-risk flood area.
The Sun has suggested Cameron may be installing the pool to keep fit.
You may also want to watch:
Mahyar Tousi quipped: "Now, that’s how you prepare for the second lockdown!"
"I guarantee we won’t all be in that together," joked Roger Quimbly.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 4 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 5 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 6 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 7 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 8 Theresa May brands Michael Gove's no-deal Brexit statement 'utter rubbish'
- 9 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 10 Labour MP lashes out at Boris Johnson over £150k wage complaint during fiery debate on Manchester lockdown
Paul Regnier added: "He believes in the big society so we'll all be allowed a dip, right?"
The investment follows Cameron's "Shepherds hut". which he had installed in his garden in 2017, and penned his memoirs from.
The hard-crafted hut is insulated with sheep's wool and has mod cons including dimmer lights and classic Bakelite switches.
He installed a similar hide-away valued at £25,000 at his family's holiday home in Cornwall after the first one sparked a family tiff.
Earlier this month Cameron claimed his austerity policies helped prepare Britain for the coronavirus pandemic.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.