Caroline Lucas tops Woman’s Hour power list
The New European
- Credit: Getty Images
Caroline Lucas has topped a list of powerful women.
The Green Party MP took first place in the Woman’s Hour Power List, marking positive contributions women make to the environment and sustainability.
Lucas is followed by environmental lawyer Farhana Yamin, described by judges as a “powerhouse for climate justice”.
Clean air campaigner Rosamund Kissi-Debrah, whose daughter Ella suffered a fatal asthma attack believed to be linked to air pollution, is next.
The top 10 also features plastic-free period campaigner Ella Daish, who calls for sanitary products to be biodegradable, young birder and environmentalist Mya-Rose Craig, also known as Birdgirl, and Rebecca Speight, chief executive of bird charity the RSPB.
You may also want to watch:
Outside the top 10, Gail Bradbrook, co-founder of controversial climate campaign Extinction Rebellion has been selected, as well as wildlife TV presenter Kate Humble and Mandi Roberts, a hedgehog rescue volunteer.
Karen Dalziel, editor of Woman’s Hour, said the list features “remarkable women from around the UK have made protecting our planet their personal priority”.
- 1 Public give hilarious reaction to Brexiteer's tweet on Project Fear
- 2 'The irony': Iain Duncan Smith mocked following 'honesty with the public' remark about Rishi Sunak
- 3 Commons speaker delivers blistering attack on government following leak of latest lockdown information
- 4 Transport boss calls government's handling of Brexit border proceedings a 'complete shambles'
- 5 British actors barred from applying for role of young Prince William due to Brexit
- 6 Brexiteer Claire Fox defends public sector pay freeze saying workers are 'not the only heroes'
- 7 The Remainers who haven't been paying attention
- 8 Nine best tweets trolling Nigel Farage over anti-lockdown post
- 9 Rishi Sunak fails to declare family's wealth in ministerial register, probe finds
- 10 Joe Biden could scrap US-UK travel corridor in favour of one with Ireland
She said: “They’re the decision-makers, innovators, communicators, campaigners and volunteers who’ve made a conscious choice to care for our environment and find more sustainable ways to live.”
“However it’s not just the work they’re doing that sets them apart, it’s the scale of their passion, dedication and determination to bring about lasting charge that is so inspiring.”
Judges praised Lucas as “the politician of our generation who almost uniquely uses environmental logic to make her decisions” and who is “fearless in holding power to account”.
Woman’s Hour Power List: Our Planet Top 10:
Caroline Lucas (MP)
Farhana Yamin (environmental lawyer)
Rosamund Kissi-Debrah (clean air campaigner)
Mya-Rose Craig (birder and environmentalist)
Sophie Howe (Future Generations Commissioner for Wales)
Ella Daish (plastic-free period campaigner)
Joanna Haigh (physicist and climate change researcher)
Rebecca Speight (CEO of the RSPB)
Minette Batters (President of the National Farmers Union)
Carolyn Cobbold (Co-founder of the Manhood Peninsula Partnership)
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.